We depend on Bluetooth for more and more units and whereas the wi-fi customary may be very handy, it may be actually irritating when our peripherals don’t work persistently. Read alongside for five ideas and methods to fix Mac Bluetooth points together with resetting your Bluetooth module and methods to take away interference.
Bluetooth points aren’t something new however there was a latest wave of more Bluetooth problems with the first Apple Silicon M1 Macs and macOS Big Sur. Notably, Bluetooth reliability ought to have been improved for Mac customers with macOS 11.2.
But whether or not you’ve bought a brand new M1 Mac or are having bother with Bluetooth on an Intel one, we’ll cowl a number of approaches to fix Mac Bluetooth points.
How to fix Mac Bluetooth points
Software replace, energy cycle, unpair
You’ve in all probability tried these steps, but when not, begin right here:
- Check if macOS is up to date ( > About This Mac > Software Update…)
- Make positive your Bluetooth system is charged
- Turn off your Bluetooth system and again on once more, you are able to do the identical with Bluetooth in your Mac (click on the Bluetooth icon within the menu bar – prime proper of your Mac’s display screen)
- You may unpair a Bluetooth system and re-pair to see if there’s an enchancment (Bluetooth within the menu bar > Bluetooth preferences > hover over a tool > click on the “x” icon > select “Remove”)
- Reboot your Mac
Apple notes in a support document that when you’re seeing intermittent Bluetooth points, it’s good to verify for interference. Tips embody:
- Bring your Mac and Bluetooth units nearer collectively
- Remove different units like telephones, cameras, energy cables, and so on. that may be in your desk or close by
- Move some WiFi units to 5GHz since Bluetooth and WiFi each use 2.4GHz
- Move USB/Thunderbolt hubs additional away out of your Mac and Bluetooth units (and don’t place them on prime of your Mac)
- Turn off USB units that aren’t in use
- Finally, don’t have supplies between your Mac and Bluetooth units like steel, concrete
Reset your Mac’s Bluetooth module
If you’re nonetheless having bother with Bluetooth points, you may reset your Mac’s Bluetooth Module:
- While holding possibility + shift in your keyboard, click on the Bluetooth icon within the menu bar
- Click “Reset the Bluetooth module”
- On the affirmation immediate, select “OK”
- Your Bluetooth units will disconnect for a second because the module resets and will robotically reconnect
Here’s how this appears to be like:
Remove all units + reset Bluetooth module
If that didn’t work, you may take away all your Bluetooth units after which reset the module (take into accout you’ll want to re-pair all your Bluetooth units after this)
- Hold possibility + shift in your keyboard and click on the Bluetooth icon once more
- This time, select “Remove all devices” > click on OK
- Do possibility + shift on Bluetooth within the menu bar once more > click on “Reset the Bluetooth module”
- Re-pair your Bluetooth system(s)
Have a dongle?
This isn’t all the time a super answer relying in your setup but when your Bluetooth system got here with a USB dongle for a direct connection, that always eliminates any Bluetooth points you’re seeing.
The most typical units to include USB dongles are third-get together mice and keyboards.
If you’re having particular points with scrolling, monitoring, and more with Apple’s Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad, there are some further recommendations in this support document.
FTC: We use earnings incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.